Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
sewing machine

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alekusu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:12 pm
So my dad is taking me to get my very first sewing machine next week and I was wondering what kind i should get?

I'm thinking for my first project I'll make a simple pillow.

Oh and if you have any tips that would be great!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:03 pm
What kind of machine you need kind of depends on what you plan on using your machine for. There are specialized machines for quilting, sewing knit fabrics (overlocks), heavy-duty machines for sewing denim, etc.
Singer has a good reputation, as well as (surprisingly) Husquevarna. I've also heard good things about Kenmores.
Since I don't know what your long term plans are for your machine I suggest you go to a good shop that will let you test the machines.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

KingToon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:10 am
I to am looking for a sewing machine, i looking for one that is for basic things like mending cloths, costumes, at least 2 layers of deniem.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:51 pm
Mine's a Kenmore and it works very nicely. I've sewn through about 4-6 layers with no problem. (I usually use broades, cotton, or rayon in my sewing) It also has several decorative stitch options and a buttonhole foot. I love that feature - put the foot on, turn the knob, and push the foot pedal to get a buttonhole!

When you shop for one, look for one that comes with at least a presser foot and a zipper foot - eventually you'll want to do something other than a straight stitch.  

Brunette_Star

Tes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:06 am
~
Kenmores, they is good sturdy machines. My old Kenmore is at least 30 years old and is still going strong (and is my prefered machine). My new baby is a Singer, it's small and light and easy to carry (my old kenmore is also portable, it has a carrying case and everything but you have to have the strength of thor to move it... new kenmores are apparently lighter though.)
~

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:50 am
Really new singers are getting better from ther slump, but a good OLD singer is worth its weight in gold. I heart heart heart my 50 year old singer.  

Silver Mist

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:08 am
I made a thread about this fairly recently, and most people were very adamant about avoiding some of the newer Singers.

I still haven't gone shopping for a machine yet, so I couldn't tell you from experience what to get, though.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:31 am
Heheh I Luv sewing,It's my PASSION!!!! heart  

Report Bot Yumi

Alekusu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:46 pm
YAY, I got it today!

but I cant even thread a bobbin  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 pm
We have about four or five sewing machines so I wouldn't know which one to reccommend. whee  

~Viva~Per~Amore~

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:48 pm
XoXoGothic_ragdollXoXo
YAY, I got it today!

hun, that's why it come's with a manual.
don't sweat, I'm shore you'll be making some thing fabulous real soon.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:29 pm
XoXoGothic_ragdollXoXo
YAY, I got it today!

what's the issue? you just don't know how to do it? or it's getting tangled?  

bookaholic

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:42 pm
Here is December Flower's thread on sewing machines and recommendations:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=9027081

Rather than repost all the information, I thought just a link would be easer smile  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games