Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
They Way You Type and Talk Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Answer the poll?
  Yes.
  No.
View Results

Tonberry Teh Haxxor

Dapper Dabbler

5,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:00 am
Do you type and use words you normally don't use when you speak?
I have been told, and I have noticed I type in a "british" way because I use words like flog, mate, and wanker. I also use wicked and other words more when I type than when I speak.
Just wondering if anyone else is like this.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:54 pm
Apart from the occasional "lol" or "OMG", I type pretty much the way I speak. :3  

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

Organic Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:13 pm
I don't know... sometimes I type exactly how I speak, and if I type differently from the way I speak then I start talking like that. Sort of a cycle.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:56 pm
I always type the way I talk, and visa-versa - except for one occasion. A few days ago, my mother asked me, "What's up?" I replied, "nm". Literally: the letters N and M (not much). I had no idea what had come over me - I never type like that, so why had I just uttered such nonsense? Horrified, I asked her to hit me if I ever spoke like that again.

Perhaps I was influenced by the crap I've read elsewhere on Gaia.  

Himeko Makimachi

ImaginationRunningWild

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:37 pm
I usually type the way that I talk. Except that I'm usually more grammar-concise when typing because I tend to have better grammar when I'm writing than talking. I don't really know why. Probably because I see what I'm doing wrong. xp  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:42 pm
I type using words that I usually don't use when speaking. I'm not a very good speaker, but I will correct your grammar mad !  

TheStoof

KingKidd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:43 pm
Yeah, I talk in my self-centered way, not just write it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:22 am
I try to type the way I speak, just because typing completely properly seems so formal for when I'm typing to friends. I don't quite use words like "mate" or anything that I don't use in real life, but since it's on the computer, I tend to think more about what I'm saying, making it a bit more concise.  

Fuku Taichou

cheapxtrick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:30 pm
I type just like I speak, excepet I use "teh" in real life but not online.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:33 pm
They're the same, I think. Except that I don't say 'myah' in real life. I only type 'myah' when I shrug since people can't see me shrugging. The 'myah' escaped into real life and I felt funny after that so I keep the 'myah' limited to ym, msn and mirc.  

applecyder

Shiyiya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:30 pm
I type and talk the same, mostly. I think in real life I just have more occasion to sat things like bloody and bleeding... that, and when I cuss in real life, I get used to doing so, so then I might cuss around my parents and get into huge trouble, so, I'm rather foul-mouthed online.... Possibly to let out all the pent-up cursing from holding it in the rest of the time? I really don't know...  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:01 pm
I do my best to talk and type the same way.
Though, regretful to say, I always seem to type more eloquently than I speak. I tend to take more shortcuts when speaking than I do typing. sweatdrop  

Silvermaiden

Amaya84

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:18 pm
The way I type depends on whom I'm speaking with. I have a friend who is a natural human thesaurus, so I tend to ease into my broader vocabulary when I'm conversing with her. However, when speaking to a lot of my other friends , I would probably just get a "huh?" look from most when using a three syllable word.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:52 am
I mostly type the way I talk. The things missing from my typing are usually unintelligble things like "uh" and "um" along with inarticulate half words. Like when someone tells me something surprising online I don't actually type out "Wha.. But.. How.. huh?" I just wait until I can form a coherent sentence to reply. I might use more complex words too, but that's because I've learned I shouldn't always use big words around my friends because then I end up explaining the meaning of the word.

I do try to leave out most contractions when I type. I'm from Missouri, and trust me, you can make a lot of things into contractions whether they were meant to be or not.

The bad thing is I'm usually a very sarcastic person. Typing sarcasm and fecetiousness tends to lose something. Online I just sound like a raving b***h sometimes since you lose out on the tone of voice and expressions.

Huh, maybe I don't type and talk as similarly as I originally thought.  

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100

Vakruz

Familiar Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:30 am
I tend to be more verbose when I type than when I talk. It's a bit annoying when I find myself unable to articulate something well when I'd had it planned out perfectly in my head beforehand; I'm just not a good speaker, I suppose.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff