Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Do people confuse your crafts?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:39 am
Last month I took my car for its annual state inspection. Since the wait tends to be long, I brought some crocheting to keep me busy.

An older gentleman sat next to me and asked what I was making. I showed him, and he smiled and said his wife used to knit all the time. With a faraway look, he began talking about the afghans and sweaters his wife used to knit. I began to get the impression his wife had recently passed away and thus didn't have the heart to correct him.

Does something like this happen to y'all? Like you're sewing and someone thinks you're quilting, or you're embroidering and someone thinks you're cross-stitching, etc?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:41 am
Momo wants it to be Halloween already,
It does. On a regular basis. My friend and I are always correcting people about the difference between knitting and crocheting.
And you should too...

Chaotic_Mind

4,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

caffinated_tulip

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:51 am
i usually crochet, ive given up correcting most people. its too much effort.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:06 pm
My best friend isn't very crafty, & when I showed her the blanket I was crocheting for her & her lil one, she said "my mom does that stuff with the hooky thing too!" *LOL*

My boyfriend is smart enough to ask, instead of assume. I get a lot of "what the hell are you doing now??" hehehe biggrin heart

Ska Hippie

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:30 pm
One of my guy friends from high school did that all the time. I was always beating up on him for the stupid stuff he'd say, so I told him that if I was knitting, I'd stab him, and if I was crocheting, I'd pull his brain out through his nose.

He didn't have a problem after that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:45 pm
I bead and I get a lot of "oh, what are you sewing there?" remarks. I do use a tiny needle and thread, so I can see the confusion.
Actually, I get the equivalent of these remarks, only in Hebrew. I guess we don't actually have a defined term for beading in Hebrew, so people just go with the first thing they can think of. A
lso, crocheting is usually called one needle knitting in Hebrew, so knitting is correct for both smile  

bit_witch

Invisible Gekko

10,950 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Generous 100

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:55 pm
For the most part I've learned to smile and nod when this happens (which is often) unless either the person seems really enthusiastic and is asking questions about the pattern, or it's someone I know well and they've made the mistake several times.
Cool to find out the terms in Hebrew- the Japanese to knit is amu, but I've never run across the verb to crochet...  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:18 pm
Blue-eyes-green
For the most part I've learned to smile and nod when this happens (which is often) unless either the person seems really enthusiastic and is asking questions about the pattern, or it's someone I know well and they've made the mistake several times.
Cool to find out the terms in Hebrew- the Japanese to knit is amu, but I've never run across the verb to crochet...

amu... thats good to know. *is taking japanese next semester*

Appearently when i craft i give an air of "leave me the hell alone if you don't know what your talking about" and thus i don't get alot of confusion over what i'm doing. 3nodding And my friends, if they don't know what i'm doing, tend to say simply "so what are you making"  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Tinuvial

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:24 pm
Brunette_Star
Last month I took my car for its annual state inspection. Since the wait tends to be long, I brought some crocheting to keep me busy.

An older gentleman sat next to me and asked what I was making. I showed him, and he smiled and said his wife used to knit all the time. With a faraway look, he began talking about the afghans and sweaters his wife used to knit. I began to get the impression his wife had recently passed away and thus didn't have the heart to correct him.

Does something like this happen to y'all? Like you're sewing and someone thinks you're quilting, or you're embroidering and someone thinks you're cross-stitching, etc?

I'm guessing that if this gentleman's wife knit as much as he says she did he probably knows the difference between knitting and crochet. However, people who don't actually practice fiber arts don't really understand that the two are fundamentally different. They just see someone using a needle or hook and string. So, seeing one will make them think of the other.

I don't think I'm making any sense. In summary, he probably knows the difference, but since he's not actually a knitter/crocheter the two seem very closely related. Therefore, seeing one leads to thoughts of the other.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:14 am
When I was crocheting an afghan last year, I would take it to school and work on it in my spare time until it got too big to fit in my backpack. And my history teacher would always ask me if I was knitting, even though I patiently explained to her time and time again that I was crocheting.

I got that a lot from other students too. Finally, I just gave up and said, "Yeah, something like that."  

selenitrope

K5pnon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:52 pm
it happens all the time. sometimes i'll be sitting there, crocheting a stuffed animal and people will stop and ask "oh, what are you knitting?", but that's not as bad as when people don't even know what crocheting is lol.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:45 pm
~
I usually get a "what are you doing? o.O" and I get it from everyone... even complete strangers.
That's kind of excusable because I currently am seen doing a lot of tunisian crochet, and the hook is long like a knitting needle, and you keep stitches on the shaft of the hook giving the appearance of one needle knitting. I think that it is pretty sad though that none of my coworkers at the craft store have any idea what it is either.. lol and it's a product we sell!

~

Tes

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:33 pm
Blue-eyes-green

The word Crochet, is French for "Hook". So when we say Crochet Hook, we are literally saying, hook hook. However, Crochet is one of those funny verb/noun words. Like run in English. It's a verb that acts like a noun.

People confusing crafts, yes. Especially when you do three or four differnt crafts that pretty much look the same. (crochet, knit, cro-hook, tsunian, crochenit ect.) One time, I was doing some cro-hooking, and a 98 year old blind woman, who was once an excellent knitter, asked to do a stitch. I consented, and handed it over to her. She thought I was knitting, but when she found out that I was cro-hooking, she exclaimed, "darn you, your crocheting." then she thrusted it back at me. Funny Huh?
I have also had some people who were actually curious to the differnce. So I told them this, knitting is two needles, and you gernerally have the same number of stitches (loops on the needles) at all times. While Crochet is one hook and usually one loop at a time. Strange how people think there is no differnce when there is a world of differnce.

I don't know about any of you, but my favorite kind of afghan to make are the ones where you make squares or pieces and then sew them together.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:42 pm
Yup. Annoys me, but I just sweetly correct them and go into immense detail on the differences ^_^  

Mangolyn

Great Aunt Gertrude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:59 pm
All the time.
Once my friend and I were demonstrating at the fair in my state and we were crocheting. My friend made this big sign that she put up beside us that said "It's Crocheting, not knitting!" And only one person asked what it was. My friend just pointed at the sign and it was all good. :]

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games