Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I WANT YOUR KNITTING! D<

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:59 pm
O.O

Oookkkk.....My mom's always been the one who would crochet, and she tried learning knitting a long long time ago and didn't like it cuz she had to use two needles and found using one needle easier, well prolly a month or two ago my aunt taught me how to knit (Hard because she was trying to teach me right handed and I couldn't do it, so she had to figure out how to do it backwards to teach me how to do it left handed), and last night my mom randomly decides she wants to play with my knitting....

Me: Umm.....Ok.....Do you know how?
Her: Nope
Me: O.o Ooookkk....I'll teach you then.....*shows her how* I can only show you left handed though because I can't do anything right handed....By the way....Drop my stitches and I'll shank you! D<
Her: Ok...*starts doing it and trying to drop stitches instead of pulling through*
Me: O.o No, you're going to drop a stitch if you do that, pull though, not off.
Her: Ok *does it right and moves onto the next stitch and starts trying to drop a stitch again*
Me: No, you'll drop the stitch, pull through.
Her: Ok *does it right and knits for a bit*
Me: --Thank god....--
Her: Get my crochet hook, k?
Me: oook.....*grabs*
Her: I can't remember how to do this *starts reading pattern and randomly crocheting*
Me: O.O Ookkkk....*goes to play on her laptop*

Today when she came home from work I was annoying my dad by moving all my stuff into "his room" because I was rearranging my room, and then my mom's like "I want to use your knitting." and I'm like "Do you remember how?" and she's like "No, I shouldn't knit if I've taken sleeping pills, lol" so I'm like "Ok, I'll show you again" *teaches* And then my dad comes in and is like "GET BACK TO CLEANING D<" So my mom goes "SHES SHOWING ME SOMETHING! D<" and he's like "Oh, Ok. *shrugs and walks off* then she desides to have me show her again later cuz she desided she shouldn't have distracted me, lol. XD

Anywho, does anyone else have family who randomly desides that they want your knitting?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:19 pm
I've actually seen that most crocheters have an easier time knitting with the yarn in their left hand because they usually do carry the yarn in thier left hand to crochet.

I've taught all of the women in my family to knit. Only one of my sisters ever finished a project, but when she completed it she was content to put the needles away forever. It makes me sad that they didn't catch the yarn bug, too. I'm left knitting all alone.  

Tinuvial

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:15 am
My daughter decided she wanted me to teach her how to crochet out of the blue one day. She's learned how to single crochet and has decided that the other stitches are too hard to learn. I've finished a few projects for her because she gets bored with them.
She decided that she wants me to teach her to sew now that I have a sewing machine again.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:13 pm
Eh, with me, my grandma taught me how to sew, partly because my mom doesn't really know how, mostly all she can do is hem pants a bit. XD And my grandma's better, lol. Desiding to do stuff out of the blue is kinda fun. ^^ One day my dad and me went to JoAnns and I randomly went and grabbed some bamboo knitting needles, a small book on how to knit (which was really no help to me because I'm left handed and the book is for right handed people and I didn't figure that out at first so I thought I was just dumb or something because I couldn't get it right, lol) and I grabbed 3 different things of yarn, and now I knit. ^^ ((Thanks to my aunt for teaching me <333 ))  

Chibi Kiku-chan

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:40 pm
Tinuvial
I've actually seen that most crocheters have an easier time knitting with the yarn in their left hand because they usually do carry the yarn in thier left hand to crochet.
Quote:

Here here. It drives my mother (who has bragging rights as a master knitter) nuts that I carry the yarn in my left hand instead of my right hand. She thinks it is easier to knit carrying the yarn in the right hand. Then again, she hates to crochet. (Why I don't know, she is better than me) So she tells me that I'm doing it the english way. And tells me more power to me if I can purl that way. (which I can, but not as fast as knitting)

And as far as me picking up my mom's knitting and knitting, I'm not allowed to. (we may make the same sized swatches with the same everything, but we naturally do differnt gauges)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:06 am
Ah. While my mom was on the phone with who I think was my dad's friend, I started to knit for a moment cuz my knitting was in the room and then when she got off the phone I said something and then she brought up wanting to learn how to knit. . . . . TT__TT I think when I go shopping with my aunt or grandma I'm going to buy her some knitting needles, give her my big thing of black yarn and let her go crazy with it. >_>  

Chibi Kiku-chan

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 am
My 13 year old cousin knits a little and when they came to visit this summer she wanted to learn how to purl. Her younger sister decided she wanted to learn too so we sat in the tiny guest house with some of my mothers stash yarn and knitted for a while. The older one didn't need much help at all so I just gave her instructions for simple knit-purl patterns to try out. SHe learned to knit backwards to correct errors pretty quickly. Her younger sister needed a bit more help but she managed to knit a few rows and actually knitted by herself later that evening.

Funny... The older sister wraps her yarn around her fingers to get better tension while I've told the younger one to give the yarn a little tug after each stitch. I'm not sure how she does it, she must pull pretty hard since her knitting is really tight.

It's fun that they want to carry on the craft. Me and my sister, we both knit, and our grandmother seems to be proud. She admired a sock I was knitting says I knit just like she does (I'm a tight knitter too).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:29 pm
^_^ I wish I had someone to teach a craft to (Other than my mom), lol.
((I don't mind teaching her, but I seem to have to reshow her everyday she desides she wants to knit, lol.)) ((Maybe when my rival/2nd cousin gets older I'll teach her how to sew and/or knit, since I've already sworn to suck her into my manga/anime world, lol))  

Chibi Kiku-chan

Mangolyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:36 pm
No, but my friend and best friend's girlfriend was allowed to knit on a scrap ball and extra pair of needles I had when we went up north. I plan on finishing it up as a scarf, I think.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:25 am
I taught my older sister how to knit- but she thinks it takes to long, and prefers crochet. Right now she's 1/4 of the way through a pair of socks, and I'm trying to think of a nice way for me to suggest that I finish them for her.

My mom used to knit a lot, but her arthritis has gotten quite bad, so she can't anymore. She knits English, while I use continental, and she thought if I could teach her how, she could keep knitting, but after about three attempts at lessons she declared purling continental style to be impossible, and I just sort of inherited all of her half finished projects.  

Blue-eyes-green

Enigmaa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:14 pm
I have taught my boyfriend and my son to knit, and they have both contributed "shapes" to my crazy-quilt style scrap blanket, which to me makes it more special and homey.

Okay, everybody - "Awwwwww....."

Spread the lurve. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:52 pm
I randomly learned how to knit from youtube.com my parents think I'm insane probably lol  

YvetteEmilieDupont

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff