WIP - Halp?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Q]

Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:26 am
Right, so. I have Photoshop CS3 Extended (horray?) which I bought. (More hooray for being legal!)

Except that I really only use Photoshop for graphic design stuff - DVD Menus, photo manipulation, that sort of thing.

It's hard for me to make something brand new from scratch in Photoshop - not to mention I haven't even attempted it for several years.

So, when it comes to CGing art and such, I suck. But I DO know Photoshop, so I'm not a total noob, I guess. Or something.

Anyway.

My aim here is to not have any line art, or at least not show most of the line art. But I'm willing to take suggestions.

The only things I've finished are the NM scarf, hair, gloves, mythril armor shoulder pad things, and skin.

I'm very hard to insult, so feel free to bash with utmost intensity.

With the lineart, so you get an idea of what I was trying to work toward -
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Without the lineart, so you know where I'm at now -
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'm open to change anything. I'm thinking about redoing the shirt completely. The shading on it sucks. But I don't know what to do with it yet.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:26 pm
GAWDEYM. You PAID for a Photoshop?? If you pay that much for Photoshop you should get a tablet too. It REALLY helps. Didn't you mention before that you didn't have one?

If you do, it'll help draw your artwork a lot faster.

Took me 8 hours to do lineart and color some crappy little s**t compared to 8 hours of s**t that isn't AS crappy when I used a tablet. lawl.

Anyway, When doing lineless art, you should always keep your edges crisp to distinguish it from other body parts of the same color/different color.

But not too crisp that it looks unnatural. Just make sure it isn't blurry, or else it'll look like it's blending into the next body part, and not too crisp that you can tell it's too digital.

Also, what helps is to not have your outlines too much in the way, so make sure your opacity is very low when coloring, but not low enough you can't see your outlines. Unless that's your preference.

It's hard to explain.

Speedpaint exercises always help.

It's when you start sketch-painting from scratch without editing/erasing anything. You just have to keep going without looking back. That way you'll learn more of yourself.

I babble too much about nothing.  

DrunkenStyle
Vice Captain

[Q]

Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:34 pm
I bought Production Premium, which mostly focuses on video things but has photoshop in it (tbh I would've pirated Photoshop if it had not been inthe package) the entire thing, which included ~7 programs, was 600usd with student discount. I've been working on illegal adobe products forever, but I'm actually editing video and doing s**t with them for money now, so I figured I'd actually go legal for once. (Student discounts help for that. Hellzno I wouldn't pay full price pirate )

But about the picture, basically you're saying start over it sucks? Because Otherwise I'm not getting much out of what you said. sweatdrop

Edit: Oyes, that was me - no tablet because I never needed one. When I borrowed it from a friend, yes it helped. But being as I only do art for fun, I see no justification in spending >100usd for something like that.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:57 pm
$100 goes a long way, buddy.

I have this small crappy tablet and I was thinking the same as you, but when I got very serious about my art, that's when I started wanting a better tablet, which is a Wacom Intuos. But for now, I'm using a Graphire 4x5 so at least I got something to use for CGing.

And no, I like to babble a lot when it's late at night, I didn't mean to start over. I meant there are techniques to help make a line-less artwork aka painting. ;D  

DrunkenStyle
Vice Captain

[Q]

Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:23 am
Well, my roommate has a 4x5, and I used it once, and hated it. Then my friend let me borrow his 9x12, and I was like "Zomg <3333"

But he had to take it back because he needs it to paint his 3d models for his final project class. ,_,
He was all "You didn't think I'd actually let you keep it, did you?"
And I was "Well I thought I'd have it longer than this! crying "

He's thinking about buying Photoshop cs3, though, which comes with a 6x8 intuos. Link

Anyway, any good websites I could look at for tuts? I need visuals, and I learn by example. emo  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:16 am
[Q]
Well, my roommate has a 4x5, and I used it once, and hated it. Then my friend let me borrow his 9x12, and I was like "Zomg <3333"

But he had to take it back because he needs it to paint his 3d models for his final project class. ,_,
He was all "You didn't think I'd actually let you keep it, did you?"
And I was "Well I thought I'd have it longer than this! crying "

He's thinking about buying Photoshop cs3, though, which comes with a 6x8 intuos. Link

Anyway, any good websites I could look at for tuts? I need visuals, and I learn by example. emo

Holy s**t, that's a ******** good price. A REALLY ******** good price.

Maybe I should save up for that rather than just the lone 6x8 I was planning on getting off that site months ago. >3>;;

Anyway, deviantart's a pretty good place to learn from. Just type down "tutorial" in the Search.  

DrunkenStyle
Vice Captain

[Q]

Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:58 am
Well for Adobe products on that site, you have to prove you're a student with visual ID.

But sometimes you can qualify if you're only in high school, too.

But yes. As soon as you get that college school ID, save it and be all like "educational discounts ftw!"  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:34 pm
[Q]
Well for Adobe products on that site, you have to prove you're a student with visual ID.

But sometimes you can qualify if you're only in high school, too.

But yes. As soon as you get that college school ID, save it and be all like "educational discounts ftw!"

Eh? I have one. :B  

DrunkenStyle
Vice Captain

Sakura Ao Bell

Magical Hero

8,375 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Hero 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:16 am
tablets rule!!!

i have an awesome wacom bamboo fun!! xd i love using it!!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:49 pm
May I ask how you are going about shading? It looks like you are just using burn/dodge/smudge at the moment. If this isn't the case disregard my concern, just overusing these tools ends up looking dirty/too shiny/messy.

As Drunkenstyle mentioned, if you want to get rid of outlines you really need to grasp a full value range of shading. At the moment it looks smeared on and blurry, whereas real light is very precise and has a lot of different values depending on where it is.  

Pookat

Dangerous Citizen

The Hallway (Picture Post)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces